View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2003
91 is my age not my IQ!

David91 is flying high
Default Hi

When two computers of unequal capacity are connected to each other, the download proceeds at the speed of the slower. For a download to be current for eight hours, you must be downloading something really big (like a complete album) and you deserve a lucky rabbits foot because the host stayed up that long to allow you to get the download. For what it's worth, I have never had an MP3 take eight hours even at a download speed of 1kb/s (which is not uncommon from a 56kb modem source). So, given that you cannot change the speed of the hosts you connect to, adopt a simple rule. If you find multiple hits for the same material, select the 4 star hits with the high bit rates first. Only if they fail should you opt for the lower star-rated hosts with low or non-advertised bit rates. Hopefully, that will shade the odds for you. I often have several downloads current for the same material to establish the fastest source. If you experiment, you can establish a number of strategies to optimise your downloads.