View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2001
Connoisseur

zeroshadow is flying high
Default Thanks.

CycloCide that is BearShare version 2.2.5 information. In BearShare version 2.2.6 Vinnie has removed Onflow. So now there are only the two thirdparty adware program SaveNow and New.net.

------------------------------

Unregistered Guest sorry I didn't treat you as a Guest. Nice to see that you can be reasonable and admit that you didn't actually test BearShare out. I have to admit that even though I like BearShare I still did not install the adware/spyware with it.

When I started using BearShare and saw the adware in the installation, I started to worry that other programs might also be doing that, but that they might not be to up front and nice about it (i.e. options to not install) as Vinnie is in BearShare. So I downloaded a program called "Ad-aware" and scanned my computer. I had over 8 different adware/spyware programs on my computer (non BearShare ones). I had got them from my email program, shareware programs, one from a Microsoft program, lots of them and from all over the place. Not one of those programs ever told me they were installing adware/spyware on my computer. The email program wasn't even a free program, I payed for it and it still loaded me up with a spyware program. So to answer your question do other people know this in BearShare (and in other programs), my answer is that I know about this thanks to BearShare. And if it hadn't been for BearShare I would not have know about them in the other programs as well.

After that I realized that since BearShare is so up front about it even given the user the choice to not install the adware/spyware that BearShare was way better then a lot of other programs out there.

After all the reason BearShare is so popular and such a good Gnutella client is because BearShare is being developed so fast. Which is because Vinnie has quit his job at IBM and has been programming full time on BearShare. Any with the BearShare download being free how else can he earn enough money to keep going?

Nice to meet you.

Last edited by zeroshadow; July 18th, 2001 at 10:05 PM.