View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2003
diverjones

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird
Alright, this is what has happened in my experience. Often, when getting a download, sometimes, I too, all of a sudden get put in line for what i was previously downloading. Usually, waiting a couple minutes, even if I'm far in the line, I start downloading. Maybe LW has trouble with queues or something, i don't know. Also, a suggestion, when downloading a file, try downloading the same thing from different sources in the hope that one will dl successfully.

Also, on your router, LW uses 6346 to accept incoming connections, but I also note in prior posts that it seems to use 6347 and 6348 as a listneing port. Can anyone corroborate this? Perhaps opening up those ports could make dls better, but I'm not sure.

Also, obviously you've disabled your hardware firewall, but do you have a software based firewall? Because if so, you have to disable that too. I don't know if XP personal has one built in that you have to turn off, but perhaps it does.

Since it seems the problem came from an upgrade, or rather, it used to work and now it doesn't, we have a couple issues. Did you install/change settings on anything that could possibly affect gnutella, LW, or your internet?

Also, when you connect, I would suggest waiting for a couple minutes to get established in the network, and then try searching to get more results. Ideally, really, try to always be connected, for many hours, because then you're more established in the network, should get more search results, and will give more uploads.

Anyone else have any ideas for this guy?
Thanks Blackbird.

I use the router as my firewall solely. I have port 6346 forwareded in my router and only that port. having too many ports just makes you more vuneralble (which I am sure every one knows). Yes XP personal does have a firewall, but I do not need it while sitting behind the router so I have that turned completly off.

I have not made any changes to limewire that I feel would make it less effecient in its operation, just the normal config setting in the options catagory.

dennis