View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by stief
re pfs: I wondered if modesty was a factor, or if someone else wrote the tests.

BTW, thanks for the xerces.jar link--that worked to get 3.0 running, but now only the Windows installer shows on the beta pro page.

I tried your Turner magnet again; no changes noted.

The text beside the buttons for search type is missing, but searches and downloads still work.

LW is maintaining connections to 4 UP's as a leaf. Has this number been changed? Connections seem to be crisper.
Sam Berlin is now going to implement PFS, he has already contacted me but my patch is not really compatible to the cvs and my approach may have been a little too simplistic too be of much help, I fear. In addition I don't have time for LimeWire at the moment.

My Turner magnet will not work unless my LimeWire is running. It's not running very often these days because there are networks with more content than Gnutella. I use Gnutella occasionally for music, but for movies, etc. eDonkey is my network of choice at the moment. (With mldonkey I can even access eDonkey and Fasttrack at the same time). For music, Gnutella is a lot faster than Fasttrack (not to mention eDonkey) but the other networks have much more content.

Are you sure the text next to the radio-buttons for the search type is missing? Or is it just not visible because it has the same color as the background? Can you try another theme (if that is possible on OSX)?

The ultrapeers return even less results now (distributing the load reducing traffic peaks for ultrapeers when a leaf issues a search). The consequence is that leafs have to maintain more ultrapeer connections to get the same number of results.

I agree with et voilą that some more communication with the users (like BearShare does) would be nice. But as a developer you really have to define your priorities. A couple of months ago it was most important to improve the state of the network before concentrating on the GUI. And the network core is not really something that you can discuss with the users.

As for the installer: It's a java installer and as far as I know the only one that is more or less decent. You can't expect LimeWire to write or license installers for every platform they are supporting when all the installer really has to do is copy some files into a folder. For windows there is also a native installer, by the way.