View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by trap_jaw4
Sam Berlin is now going to implement PFS, he has already contacted me but my patch is not really compatible to the cvs and my approach may have been a little too simplistic to be of much help, I fear. In addition I don't have time for LimeWire at the moment.
I noticed Sam is also working on the related (?) progress bars. Sorry to hear you have less interest in LW. You really should treat yourself and benefit so many of us by getting a Mac! Maybe we can respark your interest in LW. Let's start a fund to make up the difference you think it would cost you to switch! I'll throw in $CDN 20 for starts--anyone else want in on the fun of switching TJ?

Quote:
My Turner magnet will not work unless my LimeWire is running. It's not running very often these days because there are networks with more content than Gnutella. I use Gnutella occasionally for music, but for movies, etc. eDonkey is my network of choice at the moment. (With mldonkey I can even access eDonkey and Fasttrack at the same time). For music, Gnutella is a lot faster than Fasttrack (not to mention eDonkey) but the other networks have much more content.
OK. Still, Why should these networks be so much better at longer files? Packets are packets, or is Java the main factor here? The RIAA scares don't seem to have cut down on the gnutella users, but perhaps the kinds of files being shared has been affected. Is gnutella's "music speed" related to flooding the network with finding multiple connections? Just musing.

Quote:
Are you sure the text next to the radio-buttons for the search type is missing? Or is it just not visible because it has the same color as the background? Can you try another theme (if that is possible on OSX)?
I couldn't reproduce the missing text without reinstalling, and I'd trashed the OSX installer--you're probable right that it was the background colours because the text is white on a gradient blue in OSX. The text showed in other themes offered (Windows style--noticed the striping is much more visible). However, font size is very different between the "OSx" [sic] default and the other two options (black and default), and wouldn't revert to the larger OSX font in Advanced Stats.

This may have been responsible for a freeze. I was in UP mode on a direct connection, and after the freeze I haven't been able to run as an UP since.

Leaf mode is quite stable though; searches work as good or better; downloads still require kill/redownload (no repeat required) babysitting; but uploads are still choking after the initial burst. I was puzzled by one "urn get" upload: Does this mean the 2.9.11 host was uploading based on an urn search? The new stats sure give more to think about, and look to be very useful for figuring out why I see so little upload success whether connected directly or behind a gateway.

Re the gui/core priorities, I respect the need to make the core the priority. It does get irritating to read the occasional Acq user sneering at LW when 75% of Acq is LW and opensource work. Why don't the devs use more of Dave's open gui code, installer techniques, iLife integration and java implementation? Two (three?) months ago I though we'd see the benefits of a developer working on an OSX box in "two weeks" but I was wrong. Since there are some core problems that still seem to show up in the OSX (and XP?) forums, I guess the core work must continue, but do wish the devs would at least say they've contacted Apple and tried to find out how to integrate java, LW and OSX--esp OSX LAN's, packet management and firewalls. As you said trap_jaw, "the network core is not really something that you can discuss with the users".

Cheers

ps et voilą--do you host a GWeb cache? Wondered if that could be part of your UP ease of connection.