View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by osu_uma
otto normalverbraucher perceives things differently. the look and feel has lots to do with subjective perception of performance, coolness and how new and advanced something is.

i'm caught somewhere in between these two but i realize there needs to be a balance, and currently, there's an exclusive emphasis on making the core better, and that's bad.
I suggest you go reading user complaints in these forums. How many posings that go like "Can't download!", "Can't search!" or "Always awaiting sources" would you find? And how many postings saying "Help! LimeWire is too ugly" are you seeing?
In addition, as I said before, changing the look-and-feel of java swing applications is not exactly very easy. There were some attempts to do that, but they made LimeWire rather slow and unresponsive.

Quote:
the fact that these columns are hidden (because they display misleading info?) doesn't solve the problem. the solution would be some clearly readable stats regarding requested/sucessful/failed uploads and dropped/missing messages. it is reassuring to know that your uploads actually arrive somewere.
These columns are hidden because their information is not useful for the average user. For the expert, the info is not misleading at all. Information about successful/failed uploads etc should be in the advanced statistics (at least they are in the cvs version) but those stats are not very useful for the average user, either.

Quote:
regarding the progress bars: if a host downloads from 4 other hosts, it can't possibly start at 0% with all four of them. and what about other vendors? do they also download starting at 0?
The four downloads start at 0, 100K, 200K and 300K. If you have N downloaders for one file, they will always try to download the first N chunks that have not yet been written.
I really don't know about all the other vendors but I assume most vendors do the same, to be able to preview files as good as possible.

Quote:
looking at the questions in the forum, it seems that at least some of them are misunderstandings because of the GUI being unclear.
Then the solution is better documentation.