View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by stief
I noticed Sam is also working on the related (?) progress bars. Sorry to hear you have less interest in LW.
I've not lost interest in LimeWire, I'm just working on a few other projects that require a lot of attention.

Quote:
OK. Still, Why should these networks be so much better at longer files? Packets are packets, or is Java the main factor here?
Other networks are better, mainly because users with big files are using eDonkey more often than Gnutella. It's not necessarily a question of better technology (not long ago most of the big movie sharers were using IRC). However in case of Gnutella it is also a question of technology. Without partial file-sharing big files are not distributed quickly enough so you have to wait much longer before the files are available and without push proxy firewalled hosts cannot take part in the download mesh.

Quote:
I was puzzled by one "urn get" upload: Does this mean the 2.9.11 host was uploading based on an urn search? The new stats sure give more to think about, and look to be very useful for figuring out why I see so little upload success whether connected directly or behind a gateway.
The urn is sent by modern clients in the QueryHit, so you will know the urn of a file without specifically searching by urn. In addition if you get alternate locations from the download mesh all you usually know is the urn of the file you want (and not how some user may have named the file).

Quote:
Why don't the devs use more of Dave's open gui code, installer techniques, iLife integration and java implementation?
The gui code and the installer only works on OSX and LimeWire would have to create different versions for different OSs. That's more work for the developers. The java stuff should be more or less the same in Acquisition and LimeWire.