View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by stief
Any chance I can help you with a Shakespeare or Romantic Poetry class?
:-)

Quote:
Acq has been using Java 1.4 since it was still only available in the Developer's preview version. Should using 1.3 or 1.4 make much difference to the gnutella experience?
Yes it should - and LimeWire 3.0.0 *should* be using Java 1.4 on OSX. I thought the problems with Java 1.4 had been sorted out weeks ago.

Quote:
Is the URN (Uniform Resource Name?) generated/linked to the sha1 hash (how can I see/know a file's URN?). I thought I read that searches by hash had been blocked/stopped.
The URN looks like this: "urn:<type>:<unique identifyer>" in the case of LimeWire and most other gnutella clients a string that looks like this is used: "urn:sha1:<sha1-hash>" -
Shareaza on the other hand uses "<urn:bitprint:<sha-1 hash>.<tigertree root hash>".

Quote:
I noticed two new columns in the connections pane: compression I/O and QRP %. I like the compression stats (saves having to turn on advanced stats to view), but noted of the hosts reporting, most show 0/40. I have both options for compression enabled, so I guess 0 means I'm receiving 0% of that host's message as compressed, and 40 means I'm compressing 40% of the messages I send out. Did I get this backwards/sideways?

I don't know how to read the infrequent data in the QRP% column (Query Returned P?). Any suggestions?
1) The compression stats show the bandwidth savings of incoming and outgoing compressions. Since older ultrapeers (2.9.9-2.9.11) have disabled outgoing compression by default, you will only see bandwidth savings in one direction.

2) The QRT (Query Route Table) is always empty if you are a leaf so "QRP %" shows 0. Only ultrapeers keep a QRT for the connections because they are shielding clients from traffic. - The higher the percentage, the more searches are forwarded to the connections (actually it's a little more complicated than that).
The QRT is sometimes a good way to identify freeloaders - although not everyone who has a very low "QRP %" value isn't sharing anything at all (except if that is 0) - the files he is sharing obviously just contain very few different keywords.

Quote:
Cheers, and thanks again. LW has sure helped gnutella be better since those dismal times in November-January, even if I did log three beta crashes today!
That's what a beta is all about. - (I suspect there is something else wrong with the installer because some files are not copied correctly on my system and LimeWire throws exceptions about some missing files all the time - since the cvs version works quite well I am confident LimeWire will sort this out).