View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by osu_uma
Yes. I see users saying they can't connect but in reality, limewire is

-either connecting but doesn't find a good host before the users give up and quits
-or not connected at all because user unchecked the 'connect at startup' checkbox

these are issues of users not understanding what's going on. limewire is not transparent.
* If LimeWire takes more than a few seconds to connect it usually doesn't connect at all. I have my doubts that users are so impatient to close LimeWire after a couple of seconds before closing LimeWire because it hasn't connected
* In the options it states clearly what this button is used for. If the user doesn't understand it, he obviously picked the wrong language when installing. And I think that most users who uncheck that checkbox in the options are bright enough to find the connect button.

Quote:
or the people looking at the dropped i/o column and assuming that something is wrong since 90% incoming is dropped.
Yes, unless they go to the www.limewire.com homepage where it clearly says in the help section that it's normal for the incoming value to be high.

Quote:
or the people looking at the transfer column wondering what the number before and after the / means, with no way of finding it out.
Oh yes, there is a way of finding out. - Ask somebody who knows.

Quote:
or the people wondering whether their uploads fail because they always only go to around 4% and then stop.

These posts have been there, I assume you've seem similar ones yourself. These are all interface issues.
That's not an interface issue at all. It's a documentation issue. If this was an issue, the only solution was not to display that kind of information, because the LimeWire client for example has no way of knowing if an upload was successful if it stops after 4%.
I am not arguing that there are no interface issues at all (the resume button is one big example for such an issue) but what you list here are problems with understanding information Joe User would just care for - I mean I don't even care for it most of the time.
Plus, there is not much room in the Interface to write explanations for everything. - Most of it is explained on the www.limewire.com website, however. And for the rest you come here to ask people who know.

Quote:
It seems that programmers tend to have a hard time imagining that users see things with different eyes, because they lack the knowledge of underlying processes that make everything seem 'simple' and 'logical' to people who actually write software. That's why you use MLdonkey and people like me don't.
You are not going to compare MLdonkey to LimeWire, are you? I mean MLdonkey is a really good example for a bad interface. Even the command-line interface is worse than average.

Quote:
I have been using Shareaza for a while (before it turned into a cult): Limewire (2.9.x) downloaded in chunks that are spread all across the file, so do other servents. I know that because shareaza's progress bar's reflect where the chunks you're uploading are located within the file.
2.9.11 downloads chunks as I described it. The uploading client, btw., has no way of knowing which chunks have already been downloaded by the client and leaving out a few chunks from one uploader is fairly normal, if the downloader is swarming.