View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2003
Novicius

catarack is flying high

Got the same here. However worked via following method using RedHat8 and Sun's j2re-1_4_1_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin:

Get the limewire installer for other OS's :

http://www9.limewire.com:82/download/LimeWireLinux.tgz

Install the j2re-1_4_1_03 bin as to docs :

1. Check the download file size

Before you download a file, notice that its byte size is provided on the download page. Once the download has completed, check that you have downloaded the full, uncorrupted software file.

2. Change to the directory you want to install into.

For example, if you want to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, then execute:

cd /usr/java

3. Run j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.bin and agree to the license it displays.

Launch the installation scripts by using the following commands from the directory in which the file is located:

chmod a+x j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.bin

./j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.bin The script displays a binary license agreement, which you are asked to agree to before installation can proceed. Once you have agreed to the license, the install script installs the Java RE in a directory called j2re1.4.1_<version number> in the current directory.

Note about System Preferences - By default, the installation script configures the system such that the backing store for system preferences is created inside the Java 2 SDK's installation directory. If the SDK is installed on a network-mounted drive, it and the system preferences can be exported for sharing with Java runtime environments on other machines. As an alternative, root users can use the -localinstall option when running the installation script, as in this example:

j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.bin -localinstall This option causes the system preferences to be stored in the /etc directory from where they can be shared only by VMs running on the local machine. You must be root user for the -localinstall option to work.

See the Preferences API documentation for more information about preferences in the Java platform.

Note about Root Access - If you choose to install the Java 2 Runtime Environment into system-wide location such as /usr/local, you must first become root to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, simply install the Java 2 Runtime Environment into your home directory, or a subdirectory that you have permission to write to.

Installation of RPM File

Use these instructions if you want to install Java 2 Runtime Environement in the form of RPM packages. If you want to use the self-extracting binary file instead, see Self-Extracting Binary above.

1. Check the download file size.

Before you download a file, notice that its byte size is provided on the download page. Once the download has completed, check that you have downloaded the full, uncorrupted software file.

2. Run the installation script and agree to the license it displays.

Launch the installation script by using the following commands from the directory in which it is located:

chmod a+x j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

./j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586-rpm.bin The script displays a binary license agreement, which you are asked to agree to before installation can proceed. Once you have agreed to the license, the install script creates the file j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.rpm in the current directory.

3. Become root by running the su command and entering the super-user password.

4. Run the rpm command to install the packages:

The following command installs the packages comprising the Java 2 Runtime Environment.

rpm -iv j2re-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.rpm

NEXT:

Create link to your java install somewhere in your directory path.

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_03/bin/java

Add java path to ldconfig

vi /etc/ld.so.conf :
/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_03/lib/

Now run /sbin/ldconfig

Unpack your Limewire tarball

tar zxvf LimeWireLinux.tgz

You should now have LimeWire.jar, now run it

java -jar LimeWire.jar

And enjoy, eat kebabs etc....