View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2001
Novicius

rrauck is flying high
Angry Lime Wire Problem

It appears that my computer contact info found it's way onto the Lime Wire Gateway Server. I was told this by a Lime Wire user that I traced after a probe of my system (one of many) reported by my Firewall software. I understand, from reading documentation on the site, that users log into the server and use information posted there to locate other users. I have reason to believe that hackers are experimenting with using the Gnutella network to focus a number of computers on probing a specific machine, perhaps to try to tie up communication bandwidth. They may be looking for a denial of service tool.

I have never had this Limewire (or similar) software on my machine. If my computer contact information is on the Gateway server (and I don't understand how that works) it is getting there via some site spoofing the system (if that is the right terminology). I wonder if there is any way the server can filter out my information to keep it off the system so I am not bombarded with computer probes?

I'm not sure that any of what I've said makes sense. I really only know that I feel like I am in Times Square at rush hour with all the attempted probes of my computer.