View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2001
BearShare Developer

Vinnie is flying high
Default False Rumors

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I have been reading alot about spyware recently & was very disapointed to find out that bearshare contained some.
I was very disappointed to see how far people would go criticizing software they haven't researched or tried.

SaveNow is not spyware at all - it does not transmit information about you.

New.net is also not spyware, again no information about you is transmitted.

It could be argued that Onflow is not spyware either, but more of a "strong cookie". Onflow does not transmit information about *you* but it does seem to send information about which of its ads you clicked on or moved over (seems reasonable to me).

Yes, Onflow has been removed from BearShare.

The New.net disclosure screen was removed in 2.2.6 as well, however, language still appears "above the fold" in the license agreement. This was done to reduce the size of the installer by a bit. New.net has resolved the last small issue with their plugin, and it has been demonstrated repeatedly that it is not spyware. Since New.net doesn't show ads or do anything unusual I decided to streamline the installation process by removing the explicit disclosure screen with its accompanying graphic. The option not to install New.net is still provided, however.

Thanks, Cyclocide, for putting in the effort to set the record straight.