View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2003
Apprentice

barbas is flying high
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by sberlin
FYI,

I just merged in a change to provide better backup support for the downloads.dat file. It goes through the following steps:

Before writing downloads.dat, rename the existing one to downloads.bak. If writing the file fails at any time, delete the current downloads.dat and copy the old downloads.bak to downloads.dat.

When starting up, if reading the downloads.dat file fails for any reason, it will try to read downloads.bak. If that succeeds, it will copy downloads.bak to downloads.dat.
A crash wiped out a 219 MB dld at 76%. After reading sberlin's post, I used this method: started dld again and, at 40%, copied downloads.dat and named it downloads.bak (I left it in incomplete folder). Went on dlding, until a scheduled shutdown occurred. When I resumed dlding, to my horror, it started at 0%. So I went to incomplete folder, removed downloads.dat and renamed downloads.bak (the one with the dld at 40%) as downloads.dat. Started dld of the file, but it still started at 0% not the expected 40%. What did I do wrong? Did I have to do sthg with the partially dlded file?
I am using LW basic 3.2 on M%acOS 9.2.2