View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2003
Distinguished Member

Blackbird is flying high

Hmm...Not quite sure. I'll comment tho. I would say that you should take out, not heavily demanded files, but popular files. For example, anything by a pop artist. Chances are, the mesh has anything that is supremely popular (I would say top 40, but since no has the license to that one, I can't say it). However, some files that may be heavily requested to are heavily requested because chances are the file is not well established in the network. I would share those files, and ditch the popular ones. Chances are, if people download File A (that's rare) 100 times, only a very very small percentage of those 100 people will reliably share the file again back into the network. I'm not saying everyone is a leecher, but I am saying that not everyone is hooked into the network 24/7 like some of us, so chances are that you haven't shared any of your rare (but often dled) files enough to reach a threshold where they can be easily accessed.

For instance...one of my most popular dls is some music made by a long deceased Argentinean artist. No one cares about this guy, or knows of him. However, I easily upload them at least a couple times a day. And I've been reliably uploading them for months. However, I still get huge numbers of hits for them, so I don't think that my uploads have established the file into the gnutella mesh, for if I had, then I would be getting fewer hits.

Anyone have any comments on this?