View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2003
Novicius

Dionysus is flying high
Thumbs down Awaiting sources ... there is no solution!

The awaiting sources question must be one of the biggest nuisances to users of this system. This system does not work well at all. Blackbird's reply is to read the numerous threads regarding this problem. Here's my experience with this:

I sorted the 2278 postings by thread title, and most of the ones under the topic "awaiting sources" say absolutely nothing useful.

I've read the FAQ and it says nothing useful. I tried to find the reference to this link in the FAQ: "To minimize the chances of failed downloads, make your search more specific. You will have more pertinent search results from which to choose a download."

...and it goes to nothing in the FAQ.

Finally I found a big discussion in the Forum, under the title: "Could not Connect, Awaiting Sources" - Always?!

...and do you know what? It says nothing useful! Limewire users repeatedly complain that there's maybe a 5% success rate downloading, before it reverts to "awaiting sources" yet your tech support says JACK about solving the problem, except to refer you to a circular search for answers in the forum and the tech support, that says nothing!

And you wonder why I click "No" everytime Limewire asks me "Upgrade to Limewire Pro"?

This is all ridiculous. I have wasted more than an hour, to find out nothing. I waste even more time with repeated attempts to download.

Some suggestions that may help:

--Why not build something into Limewire software that ALERTS users before they disconnect, if others are connected to them? Maybe they get penalized if they disconnect uploads too often?
--Why not allow users to set up into their preferences an option so that when they DO want to quit Limewire, Limewire first allows all connected users to finish all uploads in progress, but does not allow new uploads to start?
--Why not improve the search system, so that our searches don't give so many false positives of all those people who aren't actually available to connect to?

This is just off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can come up with even more solutions to improve the download success rate. And you can also do a lot to improve the info available on your forum (for example, organize the Forum discussions by TOPIC rather than just leaving it all a jumbled mess), and your FAQ.

This might improve your sales, and your customer satisfaction. Right now, for me, it is close to zero, and I'm not going to upgrade to Limewire Pro.

Please forward this to your development team, not to mention your Forum moderators.

Thanks--Dionysus