View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by sdsalsero
However, an extra ping or two every hour from the dozen or so requestors that might be trying to get a popular file aren't going to overwhelm anybody.
One or two requests per hour don't hurt, that's right. The assumption that there are only a dozen requestors is a little optimistic. When I shut down LimeWire, I will get 500-2000 incoming connection requests per hour for quite a while (usually until my ISP resets my IP which happens every 24 hours).

Quote:
Now, obviously, there should be some reasonable limit on how long the s/w continues to try. Maybe set it the same as the Days To Keep Incompletes? That way, people could control it. Or, just default it to a week? That doesn't seem excessive to me.
I would be very careful about that. The users with static IPs are probably a minority. Besides I think very few people have the patience to wait a whole week.

Quote:
Insisting that end-users continue to hit Force Resume and/or Repeat Search is turning us into lab rats, continually hitting the button for food (or was it pleasure?). :-)
Well, the repeat search button was necessary because all requeries were banned to save the network. Maybe, automated requeries come back in the next version.

Last edited by trap_jaw4; July 18th, 2003 at 02:51 AM.