View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2001
Apprentice

badger is flying high
Default Mac Install Tips

This is my experience with OS 8.6 on three very different Macintosh machines (Classic, not OSX).

Since Limewire 1.4b (that is, for 1.5, 1.6, 1.6b), the installer says it is installing "14b", however it actually installs the correct version.

Limewire is very slow because of java implementation (not Limewire's fault), and that includes connections and all refreshes, including buttons. It requires patience. Have a martini and don't do anything rapidly, especially mouse clicking. Stop drinking once you get used to response times on your machine.

Use minimal extensions and avoid using other applications (as much as you can). Install latest OS updates for your machine/OS, particularly MRJ.

Download _Classic_ installer from Limewire or Gnutelliums. Before any Limewire install, I manually remove previous limewire version from drive (Limewire folder & Incomplete folder) and empty trash. Note, there is nothing to remove from System Folder that I know about.

Restart computer with extensions off (shift-key down). Install Limewire. When done, empty Trash. Give Limewire 40 Mb application memory, but do not run it. Restart computer with your minimum extension set. Start Limewire. Okay, sometimes it really does not configure or connect properly the first time, so reboot machine and try again.