View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2003

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by stief
Jens-Uwe got me wondering if the Linux kernel project has the best claim to the largest project that furthers the ideal of the digital commons. (Do you code for it too?)
I try to keep away from anything written in C whenever it's possible. (The linux kernel is far beyond me...)

Quote:
Hmm. Lots to think about here. "certain vendors" would include LW, and quixotic would describe many opensourcers, I guess. I'm interested in knowing what the important features would be that haven't been implemented (FT access?), but thought the proxy stuff would help the half of the network that is firewalled which seemed a major factor in so many downloads being interrupted. Your PFS patch was used; so did the proxy patch just get forgotten?
If "FT access" is "FastTrack access", I can tell you that it will never be implemented. LimeWire could be sued for reverse engineering the encrypted protocol (thanks to the DMCA).
I have the impression that 60%-70% of the network are firewalled (at least that's what my new gnutella crawler suggests). Proxies could help, but my patch didn't include the possibility to bind a port on a SOCKS proxy (to accept incoming connections). I just saw that uploading/downloading & gnutella connections via proxies are possible because my university was preventing direct connections to the gnutella network.

Quote:
I wonder why your stuff isn't being reshared. If it's being leeched by other networks, I can see why a two-way path would be a more important priority, or do you think coding LW to make uploading as easy as downloads should be more important?

Sorry for the length; I guess I'm just asking what the important changes should be (I don't know enough to judge a "badly written" core), but cheers anyways.
The next important changes are that the other vendors implement dynamic querying & partial filesharing.
After all the new features have been implemented that are currently under way (client-side leaf guidance in querying, out-of-band replies, NIO, improved alt-src-mesh) the next big thing could be THEX/TTH & a distributed hashtable but there is not much more LimeWire could do to improve downloads. Proxying is certainly not a solution for the problem with firewalled users. Public proxies are usually slow and many ISPs do not offer SOCKS proxies.