View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by afisk
On the CPU use, are you sharing a similar number of files as you would before? Among the changes we made, I can't think of any that are candidates for increasing CPU use. Are you sure that your Ultrapeers status was the same with this version as opposed to previous versions??
Number of Ultrapeer -> Ultrapeer Connections: 32
Number of Ultrapeer -> Leaf Connections: 30; hosts reach the 4000 limit in stats quite smoothly in about 10 minutes--pretty typical of what I've seen with this ISP (128kbps DSL)
unsharing a folder containing~8500 items/ .5GB helped the CPU usage, but less than I'd expected (still 40-60%), and window redraws were still unusually slow. Switched to LimeWire version 3.5.1jum205 (uses Apple's dp Java version 1.4.1_01)--CPU looked ~10% less, but similar. Reshared the folder (nice--no rehash required!), and CPU was generally up in the 50-88% range. Key difference noted was window redraws were quick--no spinning beachball.

Switched back to LW Pro 3.5.2 Beta (after a shutdown of machine and 128k modem)--saw beach ball between window redraws at first/less later. Tried running more apps--mail, safari; downloaded some music and watched the iTunes fire up and start playing smoothly (nice feature!), but the only stat which seemed to reflect the CPU jumping up over 90% was the QRP->Sent, often when the Unsent jumped over 300 (max 1268 messages per sec).

Does dropping queries require a lot of processing power?

Sorry again for the length and mumbo jumbo numbo's, but my trial with this ISP ends tonight. Thanks for reading: I don't know how you gurus filter so much information into sensible sentences.