View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2003
LimeWire Developer

afisk is flying high

Thanks for everyone's help regarding performance issues as well. We didn't really make any performance improvements in the 3.5.x series, but we certainly did not intentionally do anything that could have had a negative performance impact. I'm glad to hear that users are able to share as many as 14000 files without a significant impact on performance, though.

That's really interesting that you see difference Window redraw rates with LW versus the JUM version. Do you have the stats open in both cases? Is it possible that you're simply looking more closely at this data than before?? We continually profile the application, so we'll continue profiling to make sure we haven't introduced any new issues. We may also be able to improve performance more for big sharers down the road.

As far as how many files is too many to share, this depends on a couple of factors, including the popularity of the keywords in your files and the capabilities of your machine. 14000 honestly seems a bit high to me, but the only potential problem would be using up too much of your CPU. So, what you're happy with in terms of CPU use is the ultimate benchmark -- I would recommend sharing up to the limit of how much CPU you would like to devote to LimeWire. If that gets too high, don't share quite so many files.

Thanks again for everyone's help.