Thread: I quit.
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2001
Unregistered2001

Angry Phex, Gnutella and the future...

Well, for the about some time Ive been running every client reading every paper on Gnutella and other P2P,
as Im writing my finishing paper for the University (My final year)...

After running every peace of software that exists and clamed to do P2P, my preference goes to the Gnutella community and for the past 4-5 months Ive been running Phex (24h) mostly because of the automatic search it does... (Gnucleus also does that)

One given fact is that the Gnutella isnīt about the clients one runs but the users it has running clients, we all know that, as for Bearshare I dislike some of the "perks" it has, but I must agree that many of "us" are running it because its easy of use, some dont care about nothing else that what Gnutella can do for them (or even what Gnutella is about) and not what they can do for Gnutella...

As for Konrad, I realy think he has taken the easy path and itīs doing what the so called "Commercial Developers" expect, and leave it free to take over this network and make some profit of it...

I agree that most of the blame of thing getting to this point is ours, as for myself this is my first post (and hope contribution) to the subject, Ill try to do more in the future...

Some things to keep on mind is that:
1) There must not be any profit ($) to be had in developing anything to the Gnutella.
2) A true client for Gnutella must always be Open Source (for security reasons, quick evolution and for the sake of good of the community over the sake of the one).
3) The client (I prefer to call it a Peer) must run in as many OS as possible...

If some client doesn't comply with this rules it because of some hiden agenda or the twisted undestanding of what think Gnutella is about.

As for Bearshare, some times itīs so easy to grasp what others intentions are that it hurts, the developer is good, very good, first he grabs a large share of the network and now it can clame to say things like "This is not open to debate! ", who the hell made him king of the hill he realy must think he is the bigest thing to came after Elvis, "It was merely a translation into laymans terms of what had...", he realy is full of himself,
this interperetantion of sense of community must be stoped ASAP, or we risk to some day wake up and see that there is no more Gnutella and the only think that remains is Vinnie NetWork or something like that because after all he even seem to who claim to "have built" it.
Vinnie, Im sorry to desapoint you but the Network was and is still being built by all of us, but you r right in one point some of "us" are building it with YOUR Bearshare, beacause they are to lame to grasp the meaning of Gnutella (I belieave if you switched to an alternative network things would improve because, most of the people running Bearshare realy think like you, and don't like to "share").

About that one, In my travels on the WEB some times I find myself LOL after reading some thing like in http://www.zeropaid.com/ there we can have a look of the near future were there is Bearshare and there is Gnutella...

Please people make some peers that can be used also by brain dead people , but remember to "make" them share...

Letīs see if this is just some error on communications, and if after the dust setles there is still room for us all...

For now Ill try to take this weekend and register myself (I haven't done it yet because I realy donīt like to register as u can c, Im a bit paranoid) on the Phex Project and spread the word, hope you all take some action and protect what you love...

I have some clues how to help solve the "so bad" seaches, that made me love Phex...

BTW: take a look at http://reptile.openprivacy.org/ project... and if you havent done it yet try Phex out.

PANIC