View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2003
Devotee

rockkeys is flying high

Dick,
I've got 3.5.8 working fine on Solaris 8 X86, but I am using the recommeded 1.3.1.19 JVM from Sun. I had 1.4.2 installed, but reverted because of another problem caused by a bad patch. Since I didn't know the cause at that time, I installed the recommended JVM, to be sure that wasn't the problem. But I don't think it should matter. Pure Java mostly works across all versions, as long as the features you use are supported in your version.

If you need to, the 1.3.1 jre or J2sdk are available at java.sun.com, but if you need both versions at the same time, you have to be really careful of paths, $JAVA_HOME, and the classpaths. You'll probably need to edit the startup script to make sure you have everything pointed to the right version.

My problem was caused by a security patch for the Motif Libs, which has been recalled, but I had already installed it before the problem became known. I had to 'patchrm' it, then install a replacement patch from SUN, which solved the problem. But my crash shows up as a Signal 11 from inside libXm.so.4, so it doesn't seem to be your problem.

It's possible that you really need the 1.3.1 JVM - only the limewire team will know for sure. It might be possible that they changed the parameter list for a function between versions, which is causing the problem.

You could look up this line from your error dump in the Java bug database, and see if anthing matches:

>(Lorg/xml/sax/InputSourceV) Incompatible object argument for function call

Goto Java.sun.com, find the bug database link in the left menu column, and do a search to see what turns up. That may give you the clue you need to solve this.

Good luck,
--R