View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Installed and checked for the race fix with jum218--looks good: the search tabs closed properly. However, at first LW started up as a leaf--with 31 outgoing connections, even though I'd run as UP for 46 hrs on the previous session ????

Number of Ultrapeer -> Ultrapeer Connections: 0
Number of Ultrapeer -> Leaf Connections: 0
Number of Leaf -> Ultrapeer Connections: 31

After about 5 minutes I used File->Disconnect; File->Connect and LW reconnected properly as an Ultrapeer. I think I've seen this once before, (thought it because connected through a different IP) but I can't remember the version. I haven't been able to reliably repeat this.

3.6.2 looks to be quite stable: I'd reorganized some files from the main folder to a new folder and added another 100 files to share). The hash went well, even though I was downloading the new versions via the browser, checking and refusing mail, uploading, searching and downloading a few files and a magnet link.
Very impressive--a few months ago this would have triggered a crash, or slowed the machine to a beachball!

"About LW" display is still awkward--slow opening, and inconsistent spacing or display of opensource credits in the versions of 3.6.2 I've tried so far (three tries--LimeWire 3.6.2jum218, LimeWire PRO 3.6.2 BETA, jum 219).

The new LW 3.6.2 installer looks good and worked well (Does it also use Roger's improved Lime graphic?). When I first started on OSX last year, this is just how I would have expected a legitimate OSX app to install. What did surprise me though, was that it installed and replaced the version which was running! No error message, nor a dialogue asking for overwrite permission, and the copy source files were added to the LimeWire folder in the Apps folder--the jum readme was left untouched. That can't be good!

The pref to uncheck "Use LimeWire MP3 Player" is not being saved between machine restarts--but is saved between sessions. Written to memory but not to disk?

So--next is NIO? LW just keeps getting better and better. Too bad people's connections are still being hampered. Thanks from here at least for all the work that keeps this project going.