View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2003
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default Re: Here's an idea that would please everybody...maybe.

#1 File Sharing IS free for the User
#2 Ad supported software is only offered by SOME P2P developers there are ones that don't require ADs
#3 File sharing IS NOT ILLEGAL sharing infringing content is ILLEGAL

see http://www.leeware.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainbow Girl
OK. First of all we need to know 3 things:

1. File sharing should always be free for the user.
2. Most file sharing programs are supported by the use of ads or banners, and offering a 'plus' version.
3. File sharing is illegal right now due to copyright infringement. I'm not saying it should or should not be illegal, I'm just stating the facts-- right now, file sharing is illegal.

Now, having said that, we can proceed with describing a solution that may make everybody happy, or at least the great majority of people anyway.

What we can do is to make the file sharing companies (Kazaa, LimeWire, Morpheus, etc.) pay a yearly renewable tax or user fee to be able to provide their file sharing program. They probably make enough money from the ads, banners, and plus versions to be able to pay the tax, maintain the program, and make some profit besides. This money could then be distributed to the record companies and/or recording artists. Sort of like buying a license to use the songs, if you will. We can't make every company pay for each individual song but we can make them pay a lump sum each year to buy a 'file sharing license' or something like that.

This way the record companies get paid for the use of their songs, the consumer gets the songs free, the only unhappy people would be the file sharing companies, but as long as they still make a profit I don't see that they would complain too much.[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=deeppink][SIZE=3]