Thread: F.a.q.
View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2003
Devotee

rockkeys is flying high
Default Java 1.4.2_01-b06 on Solaris X86

I've been running Phex 0.9.5.54 for a week now, with the Java JDK version in the subject above, on Solaris 8 for Intel (a dual-cpu system @1GHZ), and it behaves just like it did with the 1.3.1 verison of Java. As far as I can tell, there were no problems.

I did notice on Solaris that after running for many hours, and also leaving a passive search running the entire time, I got a slew of 'out of memory' errors from Java when I closed Phex down.

As a result, I created a little wrapper script that starts phex up with the command line options for Java to increase the default memory settings.

On Solaris, Java defaults to a minimum memory size of 2MB, and defaults to a maximum size of 64MB. I increased the startup minimum to 4MB (which probably has no effect at all, except maybe to make it load faster), and set the maximum memory size to 256MB (I have over 2.5GB of memory, including virtual ram). Since changing these settings, I have seen no errors at all. But I do need to let the program run a day or to, to reach the point where I am sure it would have triggered the error with the default settings.

Still, if you expect to leave the program up for days at a time, you might want to be aware of the need for expanding the memory available to Java. I suspect that the continuous passive search was what ate all the ram. There must have been thousands of entries in the list when I exited the program.

Regards....