View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Thanks again for the detailed log Adam, the speedy fix of bugs, and all the developments. Sure is appreciated! Thanks too, Sam, for taking the extra time in the forums.
Anyway, for the record here's what I've noted about minor glitches in 3.6.9 so far:

Installing:
-The OSX installer says "click to install" when a double-click is needed.
-The OSX installer still overwrites a running version (3.6.9 overwrote 3.6.8). Doesn't seem right, but still no problems noted.
-Console logs the following on install and start-up:
Oct 27 17:14:00 stief-iBook authexec: executing /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Installation.framework/Resources/runner

Oct 27 17:17:37 stief-iBook /Applications/LimeWire/LimeWire.app/Contents/MacOS/LimeWire: kCGErrorFailure : *** Parser error line 1, character position 52

Setup:

-The advanced stats info box still speaks of the (hidden?) option to write stats to a file.

-In the OSX default theme, as soon as Bandwidth stats hit 1 meg, they become unreadable (last digits of Max column overlap first digits of Total column). This is not the case with other, Windows styled, themes which use a smaller font and size, but that's a high price to pay to read the stats. : )

-The "About LimeWire" box is very slow opening and displays varied results. Sometimes line spacing between names changes or even whole blocks of names are missing. E.g., 3.6.8 showed no names under the "moved on" heading; but all others showed with bulleted names single-spaced. 3.6.9 now shows the names, on doubled spaced lines, but some (not all) of the opensourcers' names are on single-spaced lines. (With the default OSX theme). This has been going on for a while: I can't find a pattern.

-TOTD has some duplicates? e.g "Sometimes the 'search' button is disabled . . . " I also had to close the LW window once to get the TOTD window to come forward--the Help Menu wouldn't always work to do this

-Help->Review LimeWire returns "Page not Found"

-High to Low Sorting arrow is inconsistent. By Time (longest connected at the top) in Connections displays a pyramid; In Library the Uploads column uses an upside-down pyramid to put the highest number at the top of the list.

-unchecking "Use LimeWire Player" in Options is correctly saved between sessions and restarts. I wish for an additional option that would remove the player controls from the interface--I've never used them. DeBloat?

-connecting is fast and smooth--62 incoming connections; 1 outgoing. I'm getting into the habit of removing any who don't have compression enabled--I'd rather help those who help conserve bandwidth.

-CPU usage on a 700 G3 iBook is anywhere from 12 to 94%--with no conservation measures taken. I can still do everything else I want on my computer. Are we likely to be beta testing NIO soon? Kick me if it's already included : )

Searching (I like the new default sorting; reconciling totals of results and alternates was a bit confusing)
-a search for "limewire" still returns too many results (1136, mostly irrelevant .mp3's in less than 10 seconds)--but it's good I don't see any Package contents.

-LW still returns results listing the contents of other OSX packages as if OSX applications are seen as folders. (thanks to Jens-Uwe who has already tried to help me understand the difficulties involved)

-The magnets are working again! Are you still planning to implement a menu option in LW that will compose a magnet of our own file we can email to friends? Add an "authorized" folder and the hope of using secure magnets to transfer files will be closer! I won't need to pay for an iDisk to transfer files--nice Pro feature.

-Adding a few files to existing shared folders still requires a refresh which resets all columns (and seems to interrupt uploads). Can't the refresh button be streamlined by using the backup system you use to keep the .dat file up to date?

Sorry I couldn't get around to checking some serious swarming, ethernet connections, and my favourite-- upload smoothness of legitimate content (averaging 45/100 KB/s, but still seem jerky. I want to see a graph of a single smooth uninterrrupted upload regularly by Christmas), but out of time. Thanks greatly for the continued progression--glad to see the Netsize is growing and more users discovering gnutella.

Last edited by stief; November 1st, 2003 at 06:14 AM.