View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2003
Enthusiast

PapaSMURFFS is flying high

I haven't checked your other post...

buuuut...
I don't really see how any one servlet can expect to get more results then any other when connected to the same network. Except in the case of clustering issues where you cannot expect to turn up results from hosts off your horizon which may be on other servlets all should perform roughly equal with similar searches. Even the clustering shouldn't affect it much, unless we assume that for whatever reasons people who use certain servlets have similar tastes in music. Which is doubtful.

I think there are several major reasons for morpheus' decline. One of course is that it is known to be buggy, but also as other clients improve and add new features certain clients may go through brief periods of decline. As well a lot of people base their client decisions off word of mouth and I haven't heard many good things about Morpheus lately. Shareaza seems to be leading in the race for new users, as well as Gnucleus and even Bearshare.

From a technical standpoint (which shouldn't account for very many users because most don't care about this stuff) I personally **hate** morpheus because so often people are running it in ultrapeer mode when they probably shouldn't be. I find that I am connecting to Morpheus ultrapeers far more often then I should based on the number I typically see as any other type of connection (as leaves, or even hosts downloading from me or uploading to me). The running as ultrapeers isn't really an issue, except it appears that most Morpheus ultrapeers do not allow many leaf connections, some have inadequate bandwidth to be ultrapeers, and there seems to be a lot more overhead in connections to them which I shouldn't be seeing (although I have heard that it was a known bug and has been or is being fixed).

Anyway, personally I'm not a very big fan of Morpheus but I understand that some people like it, and I'm not even sure if it is loosing users or not.