View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2003
Cleaning Lady

ursula is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default Re: post-download management

Redundant ?
Interesting concept.
Please, first of all, NEVER be afraid to share your thoughts, right ?
There may be some who will jump and dump on you, but ignore them, OK ?

Anyway...
Quote:
Originally posted by !!!
I have some ideas for p2p apps. I think it would be cool if I could tell a p2p app not to download files that I've already downloaded before.
This feature is already included, more or less, in many of the Gnutella Network clients, thankfully !
Quote:
Sometimes I download a file, delete it because I don't like it, and download another file with the same content because it is named different and I wasn't able to tell right away.
Simple answer is to NOT delete it until you have been able to check it and, if not satisfied, you have later managed to D/L another copy of the file which obviously does NOT match or you would be informed (with most clients) that you already have the file you wish to D/L.
The id3 is NOT the basis for comparison, OK ?
Quote:
To avoid this, the p2p app, for example, could denote that some search results have already been downloaded beforehand, or eliminate those files from the search result altogether.
See above.
Quote:
Another idea I had was sharing user ratings of files. Each user gets to share their evaluation of files, and those ratings are are collected and averaged by clients. This information could be used to avoid too much spam / poor content on the network. The ratings could be as simple as a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down per file.
Use Bitzi bitcollider...

You can [color= blue]get it here from Bitzi[/color]

Quote:
Another idea I had was that mp3 files would be matched by hash of audio content, excluding id3 tags. This would allow swarming on the audio content of two files even if they have different tags.
The better Gnutella Network clients have been doing this for some time...

And, please remember that p2p on the Gnutella Network is NOT all about audio files !
Files are 'hashed' regardless of their content.
(Have a search for ebook or audio book and be surprised !)

Quote:
Also, a simple closed p2p network amongst known friends (esp. just two members) would be nice sometimes, because not every content is appropriate for the public to see, and currently I have trouble spotting my friend's files when we are running the same p2p app.
You have been able to do this with most of the Gnutella clients for quite a long time now...
That is NOT to say that there are many people explaining how simple it is to do this... Send me a Personal Message and I'll try to help you...
Quote:
It would be nice if my p2p app would alert me of duplicate files in my library. Duplicates would be detected by hashes.
Again, the better clients do do this... not to forget M$ and their little rules !!!

Quote:
Hope these ideas aren't all redundant.
All ideas are redundant according to some philosophers... LOL
But then, if you ever sit and listen to philosophers chatting, all you ever really hear is...

"Yes, but no !"

p.s. Be interested to know which client you are using...

Last edited by ursula; December 6th, 2003 at 04:49 PM.