View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2003
Disciple

Ned Flanders is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen
It doesnīt matter if you burn and delete a song, the download itself is illegal for copyrithed songs. There are some clients which offer copyrithed songs for money, like Napster and ONLY this way is legal.
Of course you can be caught (no risk no fun ), there is no client where you canīt be caught - except for the clients where you have to pay for.

But beware make sure that you donīt pay for the client and think I paid for it and now I am allowd to download, ask if this isnīt clear, if you pay for the music or for the client "only". Limewire for example offers a Pro version for which they ask money but you arenīt allowed to download copyrithed songs. For legal downloads you pay about 0,99 each songs.

Morgwen
Like the previous poster said, it depends on IF the material is distributed by the copyright holder freely, i.e. you can download Norah Jones', a RIAA member and Grammy winner, songs from her personal website in MP3 format. Her site does not limit what you do with them or how you use them as there are no disclaimers which the associated files. You may also download the same songs on Limewire, or you may purchase them at a store. However, RIAA is conducting a witch hunt; therefore you may be sued for copying legal music such as Norah Jones. With a lawsuit, you need to go to trial to determine guilt; most are settling out of court which does not allow the facts of the case determine whether or not RIAA has a case against you. Unfortunately you can sue anyone for anything, winning is a different matter. RIAA has made many mistakes, like threatening to sue Penn State University because a Professor Usher had his own personal mp3 on his University web space. RIAA thought it was their member artist Usher. People need to start letting RIAA sue them, stop paying their extortion money and let the facts come to light. If you lose, file bankruptcy after all that is what big companies like RIAA do when they get sued. You have to also realize that RIAA did this when stereos started coming standard with a tape deck. The even tried to get The United States Congress to outlaw the manufacture and importation of any stereo with a tape deck. CD-R Music gives a surcharge to RIAA. But what does RIAA do with that money? A few of the artists I talked to said they don’t see any of it … Also, if you are worried and do get sued for downloading music, depending on the amounts involved, go out to a used record store and purchase all of the songs on the list. You have the right to back up and make personal copies for yourself. There are hundreds of defenses for downloading songs; it just needs to be told to a jury.

Happy holidays,

Ned