View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high

The Gnucleus beta is working really well for me so far too - the new dowload re-searching is really great. Right now this is the *only* one I'd use for any sizeable file. It's the only one I can really trust to resume a transfer no matter what happens.

A reason people might be seeing less uploads is if you have the option to only return results when slots are available on. Still, I like this option. I share big files, and it reduces the number of people hammering me with requests for files they won't be able to get. Also I think ol' BearScare probably returns a low "quality of service" indicator for non B.S. peers which may contribute to the lack of uploads. I notice I get a much wider variety of agents uploading from me using Gnucleus.

As far as bugs go, the only one I'm finding is it will randomly crash sometimes. Usually just doing stuff in the background while I'm not actively using it. Perhaps some oddball connection attempt or packet?

Still of course I have some feature requests ;-)

1) A type selector on the search results window (by the refine search). This is what I miss most from Lime and Gnotella. Gnucleus could outdo them both since it keeps all search results and could let you swith between types without re-searching.

2) Place the "Don't display busy servers" check on the search window too. I toggle it an awful lot depending on what I'm looking for, and it's a pain to have to jump into the config dialog each time.

3) Have defaults for minimum size and speed in search results - including the new auto-search. Many times I keep getting stuck downloading from a very slow (but available) server.

4) Kind of related - In the download extended info it would be nice to have a way to remove or block servers (so I can remove that guy with 20 upload slots sharing a +150 meg file off his 28k modem! ;-).