View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2004
Novicius

nehpets is flying high

Maybe my point was not clear.

I don't care about the connection setting. Keep that.

What I would like to know is what the average/max download is for a specific host.

If I see two hosts/files marked with "cable" and one host has an average/max of 20/45 and the second has an average/max of 5/30 I'll probably choose the first because he appears less busy and has a better max rate. (I know how busy a host is can change at any time)

The average would not be 100% accurate because the downloaders connection also plays a part. The max however should show the best speed someone has been able to download from that host.

A download rate is already calculated per download so this information is already there it just needs an ongoing average and to maintain the information of a max download speed obtained.

So in turn I can have more options for choosing from who I should download a file.

You don't even have to show this information... You can incorporate it into some "****" system. where the user gets four *'s for a better average download/max download/latency response than a user with a more busy node. After all if I have 2 gigs shared of popular files and someone else has 10 gigs of crap... my share might be a bit more trafficy than his... and if you want the same file from both... you have an option to choose the other. (an yes I know lw swarms to multiple pcs and I also know that the same file can be listed multiple ways and the would prevent swarming since they are not like files)

Anyway, my point is a better ranking system for choosing which file you should select might be worth incorporating into lw so you don't have to start three downloads to see who gives you the best response.