View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2004

trap_jaw4 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen At this moment Adam knew that Topmoxie was redirecting links. There was NO word about we told Topmoxie to remove it or something else - INSTEAED he replied something like, its a good solution to pay the bills instead of asking money from the users. And I am sure that it doesnīt need three months to remove a few lines of code. Yes Limewire supported stealing!
There was never a question about whether or not TopMoxie was changing URLs (to my knowledge, it's not really redirecting any links, it just modifies the HTTP requests) to let LimeWire make money when LimeWire users are shopping online. I don't know if you are aware of the way Amazon for example rewards sites sending people to their website. Basically, if a person buys something at Amazon, Amazon will pay the website who redirected the person to Amazon. If nobody redirected that user to Amazon, Amazon will just keep the money.
The only issue was that TopMoxie did not value the case were another website already claimed that reward for itself so TopMoxie would really steal that reward.
That issue was brought to TopMoxie's attention and it was resolved. LimeWire has no direct control over the TopMoxie sources, they only have an agreement with TopMoxie about what the TopMoxie software may or may not do and how LimeWire will be paid - at least that's the way it usually works.
So in fact LimeWire never could modify any code at all to change the situation.

Quote:
And I really wonder why one of you deleted his replies? What do you want to hide? Do you really think the "old" members donīt remember this discussion?
What do you expect?? We are living in a world where you can either make money or starve. LimeWire is a company after all and there could be certain legal implications involved depending on what statements an employee of a company makes. And even if there weren't, - it still is bad publicity.

Quote:
btw did you check if Topmoxie is actually redirecting links or do you believe Topmoxie?
It's not about believing or not believing. Two parties have a legal agreement, if one party fails to fulfill it, it can and will be held liable for it.

Quote:
I mean LW told us more than one time that they work ONLY with trusted companies, so if you trust them its your fault with stealing the links and with the virus. You have to check it before you release it under your name and tell your user that they could trust it!!!
TopMoxie is per definition not a virus - at least not where I'm living which is outside of cloud cuckoo land. If I license a piece of software and resell it, I cannot always test it to the full. I can only trust that the creator of that software is telling the truth about what his software is doing, even IF the source code WAS available for me to check. If the creator of the software lied about his product, he would have to fear that I may sue him.

Quote:
I also remember that Limewire installed third party stuff and didnīt mention that after you unistall LW the third party stuff stays on your computer.
People should really start reading the license agreements before downloading and installing software from the internet. If the license agreements states that another software package will be installed this implies that it will not necessarily be removed in cumolo (since it is not part of the same software package).

Quote:
I asked Adam via PM that he should AT LEAST inform the user about it and he promised this to me, nothing happens... I donīt know how its now because I am not going to install LW again...
LimeWire basic displays a page before installing that it will install LimeShop and tells you to view this page if you have any questions:
http://www.limewire.com/english/content/moxiefaq.shtml
In addition, you have to agree to the TopMoxie License Agreements. The LimeWire international installer does not display this information because it does not install TopMoxie and never did.

Quote:
You know the truth and are denying it like the other developers, so why should I trust you now?
Truth is relative. What the truth is in the real world, may not be the truth in some distant cloud cuckoo land for example where some words like 'virus' or 'spyware' just have a different meaning.

- And just to clarify: it is not, was not and will never be my intention to imply you were living in such a "cloud cuckoo land".

fixed bad english

Last edited by trap_jaw4; January 9th, 2004 at 05:40 AM.