View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2001
Barabbas

Post Feeback for Shaun....

Well, 1.0 looks real slick. I like the color coding, but as someone else here mentioned the icons are a bit too 'cutesy'. It's kind of tough since I can't have both versions running at the same time for comparison, so humor me.

Anyhow, here's the laundry list:

1. Connecting to hosts: 1.0 seems too often to try once to talk to a host server, fails, and then ... nothing! 0.9.9 never had trouble getting gnutellahosts.com and then working through the list of hosts. Is 1.0 timing out too soon? Automatic re-try if no connections are available would be nice maybe. Also, where's all the stats like hostname or IP addresses? Files shared, bandwidth, dropped dead, etc.?

2. Uploads/Downloads: There is less information here. Progress is only measured with a bar, how about bringing back the numeric somuchof/totalbytes progress too? Again, hostname/IP addresses are gone. Bandwidth used to be an average, and now is instant I think? Could we have both? (yeah, I want it ALL!)

3. Searches: Maybe I'm not understanding the new system, but what happens when multiple servers have the same filename? Does it need to be the EXACT same name, or just the first x-many characters? What about different file lengths with the same name? (lower quality mp3s, when I want a good one) Does 1.0 automatically try to complete a download from different servers if it loses connection with the first one? What if it's not the exact same file?

There's more, but I'll have to play with it for a while. (I could've been a BETA tester!)

-Barabbas