View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2001
Gnutella Admirer

Gnutelled Guy is flying high
Exclamation 1.0.0 gui still freezes temporarily

hi out there,

as the last post about freezing seems to be more than a month old, i though i let you know that gnotella still freezes from time to time. while the situation is much better than with 0.0.9, it's still quite annoying. do you all have these problems, or is it due to my machine somehow? as i read a couple of people is using gnotella with much less powerful machines than i (athlon 500 with 128megs).

i am on dsl (1/8 mbit), but the problem doesn't look like it's about network traffic in general. i had up to 1 mbit transfer with a perfectly working gui. also the network traffic goes on even if the gui hangs.

on the other hand i had situations with no transfer at all and a gui freezing for some secs or even mins. i tried deactivating the "look for changes" option, but's that not it either.

also it's not the system that hangs but just the gui. as mentioned even the gnotella traffic goes on uninterrupted (fas as i can say).

the message transfer seems to have an impact. with more hostconnections i get more freezing. but on the other hand i had 30 hostconnections (the max) and it worked quite fine (for some time). but also with 15 and even with 5 hosts i sometimes get probs - although (as mentioned) less likely. At the moment (in the background) i have set it to 10 hosts (its says it's connected to 4) and the gui has been frozen for the last 5 mins.

so to me this looks like a bug. And a serious one, because usability is a must for most of its users, i guess. Can anyone report about similar problems? or does anyone has a clou about what i could change to make it run better?

all the best,

Last edited by Gnutelled Guy; August 9th, 2001 at 12:14 PM.