View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2004
lazy dragon - retired mod

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
most gnutella clients limit the queue length to ~10.
Ah that is the problem. You need MUCH luck to get a free slot and so its takes MUCH longer to download a larger file. With the Donkey my place is save... and with usually several hundreds of sources you wonīt wait very long.

Quote:
or rather Gnutella's selection of large files is small compared to edonkey's
Yes because the people who want to download larger files use the donkey - why? Because of the problems I mentioned. gnutella will never be a good all rounder, to many cooks (developers). Did you remember the donkey started as one client, they made the protocol as they wanted... the users saw its good and used the donkey. But within Gnutella the developers have to discuss two years before they add needed features!

Quote:
eDonkey is inefficient for almost any task. For downloading a single file it is very slow,
Bullshit!!! For larger files the Donkey is THE BEST WHAT EXIST, only with smaller files you "might" need longer to download than with Gnutella.

Quote:
If you want to download a single unique file, from a single host, its long queues can be very frustrating unless this host has a very high uptime.
I never had this problem that I had to download a file from ONE HOST. The chance for anything like this is very low, you will have the chance to start the download from an other user who is downloding it at the moment (partial sharing). And it would me frustrate much more when I donīt get a free slot and I donīt know if I will get one even after several hours of uptime... the 10 queues limit is like a lottery, with the donkey I see "exatly" if its worth to wait or not. btw people who download and share larger files has usually a very high uptime or did you manage to download a 700Mb file in a few minutes?

Quote:
It is impossible, however, to force users to share in an open network, - or even create an efficient rating system that effectively disadvantages freeloaders (see eMule).
Its better than ignoring the problem...

I think we should disadvantage freeloaders in any possible way, the use our bandwidth without giving back anything - they are disadvantaging the people who share their files - they need longer because some people donīt share their files. All sharers pay the price for some selfish freeloaders

As I said there is NO exuse to be a freeloader even a 56k modem user can share at least 1Kb of his bandwidth...

Morgwen

Last edited by Morgwen; February 8th, 2004 at 08:14 AM.