View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2004
lazy dragon - retired mod

Morgwen is flying high

Quote:
Yes, I can easily proof it from my eMule statistics. When uploading at more than 10KB/s, my download rate starts dropping. I can still download at fairly decent speeds and surf without any problem uploading at 12KB/s, but my average download rate will 10%-20% lower (like 40KB/s instead of 45-50KB/s).
My statistic if different. I uploaded with 10Kb, 12Kb and 16Kb - my download speed was only lowered with 16Kb - no difference with 10Kb and 12Kb - as I said such a statistic is no proof. Show me a techincal documentation or an official statistik there several hundreds of nodes are tested!

Quote:
Few small files are downloaded and shared by many nodes at once.
If the few files are shared and downloaded by many nodes - you have more than ONE host, each downloader is after he gets the first chunks an uploader! So if you are talking about a download from ONE host - this isnīt a common use case, this is very seldom case and no good example!

Quote:
More sources = more overhead. Ideally you would download a file from as few sources as possible and as many as necessary. Sending requests to many hundreds of busy sources is just not efficient. What you really want is to send a few requests and get a download slot almost immediately. All information about busy sources is basically a waste of bandwidth and that is where eDonkey's design is fundamentally flawed.
Now tell me about which network you are dreaming which is perfect and can all what you are talking about? Its sure not Gnutella... it donīt exist. The donkey isnīt perfect either, but do you think the donkey developers are sleeping? Do you think only the GDF can develope?

I have to repeat the donkey is THE BEST WHAT EXIST for larger files... and you can talk about your overhead and be lucky with dreaming about the perfect network, while I download my files with eMule faster than I ever managed with Gnutella and this is no dream.

Morgwen