View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2004
Apprentice

wrightjj is flying high
Default java & limewire, spinning around my head

another newbie to linux here, trying desperately to install a filesharing program with no such luck. i have suse 9.0 and am trying to install the latest version of limewire. here it is:

linux:~/programs/limewire # sh LimeWireLinux.bin
Preparing to install...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. You must install a VM prior to running this program.

suse came with java but when i try to compile a java program it says javac isn't a recognized command (i'm also just learning java.) so i downloaded j2sdk from sun and installed it in /root/program/j2sdk and compiled it and everything went fine. i can now compile java programs but i have to be in that directory or specify where javac is. so how do i get the new version of java to rule over the older version?

in my home directory i get this:

wrightjj@linux:~> java -version
java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot (TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

in /root/program/j2sdk/j2sdk1.4.2_03/bin i get:

linux:~/programs/j2sdk/j2sdk1.4.2_03/bin # ./java -version
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java (TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-b02)
Java HotSpot (TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed mode)

i've been looking around and i think i need to do something with the $PATH variable. how do I add to it so I can run the new version of java from anywhere? or maybe tell it to look in the current directory for the program? so when i run a compiled program i don't have to add the ./ in front of the filename. and why isn't limewire picking up the java? i know i'm asking a lot but any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

wrightjj