View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

rubaiyat is flying high

I apologise for my blunt undiplomatic language s;-(

I'm not here to argue or get on your bad side.

As is obvious from my postings my experience is dramatically different from yours and I must admit puzzlement as to why we have 2 such different experiences.

Principally I guess is that I am on the Mac, but as I have said I have tried it over a long period of time in OS9, several versions of OSX, different machines, different ISPs, 2 different modems, and on VDSL broadband with 2 different ISPs. I have not used it on my PC as I leave it isolated from outside networks (& Virii), but I am willing to experiment.

Sorry to say my experience is common to all variables above. As I have said comparing the 2 software in question is like night and day.

A large part (drawing on my long experience with IT) is what one user believes to be acceptable usability and performance. We use the same words but they mean different things to us. I am a Mac user because I believe developers should be responsible for the usability of products that only they can know intimately. Others take pride in overcoming the obstacles thrown up in their path by miss (or non) information, poor design and faults in its implementation.

Not to dispute what you say but I am reminded of the old joke about a man observing a large Excavator: "That machine is putting a 100 men with shovels out of work". Whereupon an observer says "and a thousand with spoons".

The point is they all dig the same hole.

I know. I have used the LimeWire spoon and am upgrading to the Poisoned shovel. I look forward to "xCavator" when and wherever I might find it, and I won't be attached then to anything I previously used.

PS I have been over to the General forums and note that the recommendation is to post on specific applications back here in the specific forums. My comments were on LimeWire so here it is. I understand LW is your baby and so you may not appreciate unfavorable comparison.

Correct me where I am wrong and I'll take it square on the chin.