View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2004
Cleaning Lady

ursula is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default Re: forever to get a song

Quote:
Originally posted by cosborn
As a Mac user --- not on a network, not even protected by a firewall --- I too have found LW downloads impossibly slow, despite the use of a broadband connection.
The above comment indicates that the very first and most important thing that you must do in order to attempt to resolve your D/L 'speed' problems is to scan your entire machine for viruses and so-called Adware/Spyware/Dataminers. If you have no protection enabled than your machine is going to be running applications 'in the background' that are consuming some of your available bandwidth.

When you say, "LimeWire downloads," are you referring to files you are downloading specifically from other LimeWire users or are you meaning that 'performance' when using LimeWire is less than the 'performance' of some other Gnutella Network client. (Or, perhaps you are referring to some other iteration of LimeWire that you ran in the past ?)

Obscurity is not a quality which will enhance the potential success of your pursuit of problem resolution and knowledge.

See below...

Quote:
Moderator replies (Et Voila and Ursula, I believe?) to rubaiyat's postings have been no better than childish, embarrassing sarcasm* that have in no way refuted the points rubaiyat has made.
Strange.
It appears that rubaiyat does not necessarily share your opinion.
Quote:
Worse --- they have offered no real help to LW users.
Beg to differ with you. Read the posts again and you may find that there are numerous comments made in regards to the possible cause(s) of reduced download 'performance'. Further, these forums are packed full of posts which have many helpful tips and 'set-up rules'. The fact that large numbers of people make no effort whatsoever to examine past posts is not the fault or responsibility of any moderator or, more importantly, any forum 'regulars'... The frustration that has been alluded to here is also experienced by people who find posts asking a question which is actually answered in the post(s) immediately above the questioner's post.

As an aside, it is quite amazing how many people post their LimeWire questions in the BearShare Forums !!!
Quote:
Instead, we get testimonials about dowloading hundreds of MBs in a day. Is this intended to help those who haven't accomplished the same feat, or is it simply a way of discrediting complaints?
Hardly the latter...
I have many complaints regarding the manner in which users 'operate' on p2p file-sharing networks. The majority are sharing either nothing or far too much... Their machines and OSes are not correctly configured nor maintained.... They share stuff which they have never examined... They change filenames inappropriately... They alter important settings and then 'hammer' away trying to get their precious D/Ls while flooding the network with unnecessary traffic... They go off-line when they get what they wanted, disconnecting from active uploads which may require only seconds or minutes to complete... They... ... ... Get the idea ?

In fact, I would like to see many more cogent comments regarding complaints on user-habits. Contained within such commentaries would be the occassional gems of wisdom and experience that may benefit others.

Testimonials ?

Well, if you're referring to rubaiyat here, I did not find it so much of a testimonial as a simple statement of traffic flow using a different client.
The frequency of his doing that is what constituted the 'Spamming'.
If you are possibly referring to me, I made no comment of testimonial to any client and only mentioned what I am uploading... Gigabytes and Gigabytes worth to LimeWire users, btw !

If you are referring to posts from satisfied users than consider the fact that there are many and varied personality types out there and that some may be having their success from sheer 'dumb-luck'... Some want to keep the 'tips' a 'secret'... Some may be idiot savants with computers but are embarrased with their level of literacy or grasp of the English language... Some have answered the same questions 100s of times and are 'frustrated'... Some haven't a clue but want to 'display' their 'expertise'... Get it ?

And some... Many, many here, in fact, do know and DO help.

What WOULD help the vast majority of people involved in the world of p2p filesharing would be if they actually made some effort to even try to understand what they are doing... Meaning, specifically in this case, to understand the nature of the network...
To understand WHAT Gnutella Network IS !!!

AND, what it is NOT !!!
Quote:
Rubaiyat has been labelled a spammer...
Because he was spamming.
Quote:
(subtext --- heretic?*)
What's with all the religious references around here ?
Quote:
...in large Scarlet Letters (in case anyone in this galaxy should miss the symbolism?).
No,These are large Scarlet Letters.
(You don't know Hester by any chance, do you ?

Also, the size used for the word Spamming in the post was 'normal' default size. I hope rubaiyat was not offended by my failure to use something larger !
Quote:
When will we all be invited to the public stoning?*
Unfortunately, he has not yet invited me... But, I think I should first find out what he uses to be stoned. Don't you agree ?
Quote:
If everyone who uses this product is obliged to offer a testimonial, to improve the "karma" of the community or to be a true believer, then LW is selling snake oil.*
It's rather difficult to find an example of anyone here suggesting the form of behaviour you mention.
Impossible, actually !
Quote:
In addition, the pretence that this is any sort of forum should be dropped.
Perhaps it has escaped your notice, so, to assist you in recognizing your surroundings here, I'll just remind you that this is Gnutella Forums which provides a place for people to discuss p2p file sharing in relation, primarily, to the Gnutella Network. It is a real plus for the entire community that so many Gnutella Network clients have forums within Gnutella Forums. LimeWire Forums is one of such forums.
Because of the nature of Gnutella Forums it is inevitable that there will be occasional references to comparisons of clients.
Nothing wrong with that !
What is not acceptable has already been partly covered in posts to rubaiyat and it would serve no purpose to repeat them here.

Quote:
Let us see if one of the discussion moderators (who should perhaps consult any standard dictionary on the meaning of the word "moderate" --- as verb, adjective or noun)* can make a reasonable reply to my complaint.
How are et voilą and I doing so far ?
Quote:
It is this: downloads using LW in Mac OS X are impossibly slow, and fiddling with the obscure settings, as suggested in your FAQs, has made no measurable difference.
A minor detail which would be most edifying for anyone here who may wish to assist you would be for you to first identify:

Your specific OS
Details of your machine
Details of any other applications running concurrently with LimeWire
The specific version of LimeWire you are currently using
Specific details of your ISP connection

"a Mac user --- not on a network, not even protected by a firewall..."

is inadequate if you wish to have any chance of a reasonably 'speedy' response.

Quote:
I certainly intend to give LW's rival products a try. If they are slower or more difficult to use, I may have to abandon the search for cherished remasters of the 78s from my childhood. Goodbye Sophie Tucker, Yogi Yorgensen and Jimmy Rodgers.
Ah...

Here we have another instance of the inadvisability of 'first stone casting'...

The above material you mention indicates quite clearly that your intention is to attempt to download material which is most definitely covered by copyrights. (I have not yet marked them out with an [Edit] so as to be able to provide you with 'evidence'.)

This strikes me as being a bit like going to the hardware store and complaining that the hammer you bought (or possibly got for free !!!) failed to break the glass front of the store you wanted to rob.

Takes some of the shine off of a 'noble' position, hmmm ?

* Sarcasm