View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

rubaiyat is flying high

Quote:
I certainly feel that some people find LW frustrating.
In this forum, which only consists of people who
a/ can be bothered,
b/ have actually found there way here
c/ have not been chased off by the minders
there seems to be plenty of evidence to back up that assertion
Quote:
Putting the firewall issues and ISP problems aside, the user is often the own cause of the slow speeds.
I have no firewall running, nor did before and my ISP doesn't let me play with their server. I have the same set-up as for the competing s'ware.
Quote:
I always got mp3 at speed above 10Ko/s on LW
I occassionally get short bursts at max about 1.5 - 2kb/s. The software that remains nameless will surge frequenty to 27kb
Quote:
1)begin downloading ASAP when the results are coming as this not let time for other clients to go offline.
Hmm this is laboring the obvious. I do that and... ? Was something supposed to happen?
Quote:
2)when a download is slow and has only a few sources, you can right click on the tab of your search to get more sources for download (or you can do another search with the specific name of the file which is more accurate)
I am incessantly chasing multiple and new sources to little or no avail. If LW worked properly this wouldn't be even up for dicussion. Needless to say the STSRN laregly obviates the need to do this because the download... downloads. Isn't that what is supposed to happen?
Quote:
3)have a preference for files that have more than one source if possible.
Hmmm, why didn't I think of that ? s;-)
Quote:
4)if with those things you can't get the files in a respectable time (variable as it depends on the patience of every user... ) Do another search and try to download the same file but with a slightly different size or bitrate or name.
Days, weeks, months, never... what is "respectable" ?
Quote:
5)Optimisation: I usually download the same file from two different results and I cancel the one with the slowest speed after the firts download is complete.
Again what's new? Just with LW this is a recipe for even more incomplete files.
Quote:
6)there are other productive ways but they don't come to my mind now
Try another product? Sorry that would only be the resort of the desperate!