View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2004
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default My opinion --

Most of my opinions can be stated quite simply:

Don't share copyrighted material on the public Internet!

The record companies should have started by suing individuals. Copyright infringment is not a technological problem. The root cause of copyright infringment lies squarely on the sholders of the infringers. There is a remedy for those who didn't intend to infringe on someone elses work. It's call a cease and desist order = warning don't do this anymore. You have an opportunity to stop doing what your doing after this its open season.

I completely agree with the actions of MPAA, RIAA and BayTSG. When it comes to taking actions against pirates. However I completely disagree with them when they go after the technology that facilitates file sharing. File Sharing is not a bad thing.
File Sharing is not illegal.

Quote:
Originally posted by chick-n-man
hey lee,,

i did some-what agree with your views of copy rights,, sombody,, somwhere,,owns these songs that people are sharing,, i was wondering what your opinion is on this,,, back years ago sombody invented the old 10 foot satelite dish,,people bought them and found that they could pick up every channel in the sky,,,so premiem channels (hbo,showtime,and such) did not start suing people,,they scambled there signals,, so people invented black market descamblers ,, but in todays time even those are about usless because they scramble their signal so fast and often,,and can even send a signal that will burn the descrambler,,, the people with these old dishes were just getting what was availble to them as long as it was availble,, todays times sombody invented the computer and file sharing,,,people bought it and found they could share music,,what is your opinion on that if the record companies feel they are getting ripped off then make your cd"s where they can be played but not copied or shared i"m sure they have this technolgy,,, people who are doing this sharing are just doing what is availble to them,, i mean,, why pay for county water if you have a well ??? from what i have read ,,,you seem to be a person of good since and knowledge,, i was hoping to get your opinion on the record company suing people for just doing what is availible,, v/s doing like hbo,showtime making their product only availible to those who pay for the service ???