View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2004
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Downloads and connections for Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by tedy814 1. I have read the connection issues with Waiting for Busy hosts and I just have to be patient......But how patient? 1 week? Or should I search again and try something else?
This depends on whether the computer(s) that had/have the file are busy or offline. If a file has many sources and they aren't already busy, you'll get your file right away. On the other hand, for a particular file I've had to wait weeks until that computer happened to come online again (weekends are usually good--see http://www.limewire.com/english/content/netsize.shtml for the best times to try). Then again, sometimes I've just given up.
Quote:
2. It says connecting.....and has said that on and off all day (4 stars). Once in awhile it will go back to Waiting for Busy hosts and several times it went to Awaiting sources, then back to connecting. Never has connected that I can tell. Is all this normal and can you explain in better detail what each status means.
Sounds like you or the other host is firewalled (fairly common). If so, then a third computer is needed to help handle the request. The chances of waiting for a free slot or the others being busy is greatly increased. You can help by opening your firewall, router, or whatever connects you to the internet to make sure you can accept incoming connections. Look in "Sample Bug Report" in your preferences (tools->options) for the line that says "Received incoming this session=true".
Quote:
3. Need more sources: This one started right off with connecting and then went to need more sources. Have tried to locate more sources a couple of times and nothing. Again, should I try a different type file or BE MORE PATIENT?
see 2. As you know, "Repeat Search" is the option here: patience just helps makes the learning curve more bearable.
Quote:
4. Maybe, sum up the "average" time it takes to locate and start an actual download?
immediate, if there are no firewalls and you both have very few transfers going on; forever if the file and host are gone. Sorry--the average depends too much on availability.
Quote:
5. What is the best file type for DVD quality files for burning to DVD and then playing in my DVD player attached to my TV?
I like .mpg's--they work best with my Mac, but the war to control media means very few types work for all hardware and platforms
Quote:
6. I have downloaded one movie that appears to come in Part 1 and Part 2. If I download Part 1, How am I sure of which Part 2 goes with it. There are several.

7. On Part 2 of above, I downloaded one and it has an error 1/2 way through the file----invalid file format. So I downloaded Part 2 (IT WORKS) (this is what was in the file name) and it has the same error. Part 1 seems to work fine. Anyway to report this back to the user providing the file?
If the person has a chat icon, you can try that, otherwise, shrug, there's no easy way.