View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2004
Cleaning Lady

ursula is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Simple answer is yes, but, no...

Without going into tons of details to start, DO NOT EVER use a so-called 'download accelerator' for anything, anywhere.

NOTHING is 'accelerated'... The name and what it implies is a plain lie.

All applications of this type do is hammer away at the 'sender' with 'requests' which 'flood' whatever network you are on... whether it is a simple internet link or a p2p type of client...
They are harmful to all forms of file transfer systems.

They are 'lethal' when used in ANY form on the Gnutella Network...
If I notice someone using such types of applications while attempting to download a file from me, I simply 'abort' the transfer... If a further attempt is made, and the software I am using at the time permits, I 'Block' the person trying... At an extreme, I will disable sharing of the file the person desires.
I am NOT alone in this reaction to idiots who attempt to use so-called 'download accelerators'.

Please NEVER even allow yourself to have one installed on your machine !

There is NOTHING that can possibly alter the maximum bandwidth that you have available for data transfer--- EXCEPT giving the nice people who control your internet connection MORE MONEY for a 'broader' bandwidth connection...
Oh, and also learning the 'correct' habits of use while trying to do file sharing will help you speed things up enormously... That means that you must remember that every single thing that you do with browsing or surfing or chatting on the net while you are also trying to D/L files is going to use bandwidth which will NOT be available for the file you want to get !