View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2004
Software Developer

sberlin is flying high

Hi Spinner -- What do you mean by "in-search sorting". Do you mean the filter boxes on the left that let you narrow the search results, or something else? Is there somewhere else you think these would be better placed?

The Community search was internally designed as "What's New", but we thought community might be a better phrase -- the description can easily change. 'Any Type' community searches right now will provide the most results, but as people upgrade to the beta (and ultimately the 4.0 release), all searches will provide the same results. This is because 3.9+ includes a server-side change that tells people to only return files of the correct media type.

I also noticed some oddities with the window header showing disconnected for a bit longer than expected (it should only have a second lag at most, but it seems to be a bit longer sometimes). We'll look into what could be going on there.

The beta does include some changes that may help with the connection problems, although I don't think we're quite ready to start telling normal users to download the beta. Perhaps as we get closer to the final release.

As far as returning to a search from the filter boxes -- I'm personally a big fan of the text box, if only because after I perform one search, I generally want to perform another, and I like to start typing right away without having to click on anything. It is a process, though, to change the type of search ... we'll see if we can't find something to make that easier.

We're most likely going to provide an option that lets Pro users see the magnetmix link, but it will be off by default. Lots of Pro users complained, thinking that the button was an "ad" and they didn't want to see ads. Despite not all of us agreeing it was an ad, we listened and removed the button.

I'm sure Adam's lurking around somewhere, possibly reading these forums still.