View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high
Default image corruption comes from DirectX

Note that DirectX support has coinsiderably been enhanced in Java 1.5 beta (the next coming version of Java, code-named "Tiger").

If you experience display corruption with Java 1.4.2 (the current release), look at this Java 1.5 beta release candidate.
For me it works like a charm with LimeWire, and further improves the performance.

With this version, all display corruptions which may happen sometimes because of unfreshed areas of the screen in some stress conditions have now disappeared.

Of course this is still a beta, so you may experience some other problems. try it and keep the current installation of Java 1.4.2 for now if you need to revert to it.

You may switch back to the previous JRE by using the Java control panel which allows you to select the prefered Java Runtime environment.

(For now I do that: Java 1.5 is now my default, but I also test with Java 1.4.2 to see if a problem I could find comes from Java 1.5; for now I have found no reason why a possible bug found during developent may occur in Java 1.5 beta but not in Java 1.4.2 too.)

Note also that Java 1.5 now has a better support of the Windows XP Look and Feel (so the "Windows_theme" is less odd and can become your default, if your Windows display properties are set to use the Windows XP theme with rounded windows and buttons, and with hovering tabs).

Now LimeWire can have a full Windows XP look and feel with Java 1.5 (previously this look was only partial, and not even reproducing well the Windows 95 look, as it was more like Windows 3.x).