View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2004
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Peerless, you're right about the settings: good thing LW allows you only to share as much or as little as you want, even if it does allow leechers to get away easily.

vintagedork--PFS can be a pain, especially when I'm missing only a few MB which are unavailable, and I've 6 or so uploaders taking up all my upload slots and bandwidth. But--you can change your settings on the fly (at least with the new LW 3.9 betas--probably the regular ones too). So, what I do is reduce the slots to 1 per person, limit the slots to 3, and throttle the upload bandwidth to twice what is coming in. I figure all of us on PFS are sharing the file without knowing what it truly is, so I don't share my completed items files until they are verified as acceptable. So the rule of thumb I use is to allow twice as much to be loaded up as I'm getting down. That way I'm not leeching. It's not ideal, but is a workaround for now.

What I'm hoping the devs will allow (when they have time), is to at least reserve some upload slots for my verified shares so that those don't get pushed out

Ursula--the posting time was funny. I didn't delete mine because we didn't totally overlap. I didn't know we disagreed on PFS, however. I can see how a malicious file could be spread very quickly that way, but so can legitimate files. Until they are complete we have no way of truly knowing if they are bad, and gnutella (like all communities) can't develop on a major presumption of malice. We agree about your strong recommendation of not sharing the dl folder, right?

I guess I figure the advantages outweigh the risks, and the risks can be prudently reduced, so the net result is we benefit.

I'd like to hear what pieces of the argument I'm missing (seriously).

Cheers