Thread: Dying Downloads
View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2004
Devotee

JayG is flying high
Default Dying Downloads

You start a download or two, maybe have multiple hosts pumping data in your direction, then you head away from the computer for dinner, or to sleep. You return, to find that origonal hosts have either gone offline or have stopped responding. Limewire SHOULD be smart enough to notice this and initiate another search, but instead, you are greeted with "Awaiting sources," or notice that you are downloading at a bitrate of zero, forever. All the user need do is tell the search window for that file to repeat the search and the download may not only resume, you may find several hosts jumping on the wagon.

Someone at Limewire seems to have forgotten that computer programs are supposed to have built in intelligence. How hard would it be to have Limewire notice that the download has either stalled or lost its host and reinitiate the search for itself? How hard would it be to check, now and then, to see if another host has appeared that might shorten the download process for that file? It would add little traffic, because, now, you have people constantly clicking on the repeat search button to make up for this failing in the program.

And while I have you on the wire: If I use the right click on a given file search window's tab, to bring up the options menu, it will NOT dismis unless I click on the same tab a second time. Click on the window to try to dismiss the menu, as is done for most programs, and nothing happens, except that you must now click twice on the tab—once to attract the attention of the program and once to cancel the menu. This is just sloppy programming, and should be fixed.

JayG