View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2004
Devotee

JayG is flying high

To get some real hard evidence they have to prove that I do really share files...

You don't have to prove that sharing has taken place, only that you arranged things so that such a transfer can take place at the user's will. The fact that your machine pops up when they do a search on titles, alone, says you're sharing those files.

And therein lies the problem. If people don't share, the network doesn't work. If they do, and doing so it's against the law of the country in which they reside they're vulnerable. The solution should be obvious. Since at the moment they're looking only for large scale operations, don't keep thousands of titles in your shared folders.

Personally, I don't know why the government, and the industries, haven't set up thousands of machines all busily offering buggered copies of any file a downloader might want. Since most PC owners haven't the faintest idea of how to delete files these realistic do-nothings would multiply and mask the real copies by sheer volume. Couple that with the vast majority of users who take files but share nothing, and things could come to a grinding halt.

In fact, it may be happening. I've seen evidence of it lately both in film and music.

Jay