View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2001
Unregistered

Lightbulb Resume downloads from Incomplete directory

Nice suggestion from TruStarwarrior

From my 56k dial-up I just got an Incomplete 43MB file to resume, at 58%.

I had closed LimeWire and was forced to Search again an try to match the results with the Incomplete file info. in the Incomplete directory.

I was very happy to see this manual-resume work, but I should point out, I was lucky finding the same file.

The Search results included multiple files with the same-exact-file name, and the file size reported in the incomplete directory, T-43710936, did not match any of the sizes in the Search results. The one that finally matched was 42,686KB.

I had to experiment by downloading each duplicate name, hoping for a connection that suddenly incremented itself past 50%.

Luckily for me, I was able to get to the right GnutellaFourm thread to read TruStarwarrior's post, and had less that 10 names to experiment with, in LimeWire's Search results, before connecting precicely with the previous-source file, and luckily I was able to do all of this before the host of that exact same file went off line or otherwise became unavailable.

It sure would be nice if a <RESUME> button in the Incomplete directory could automate this process, or in the interim, it would help if the Incomplete directory could save file-location info. since Incomplete file size does not reliable match Search results.

Another interesting note:
My download speed improved from around 1 KB/s to 4.9 KB/s after I disconnected then reconnected my dial-up connection.

Sometimes this re-connection boost can really help speed things along. Too bad there is not a way to reset the server from LimeWire's file menu, which might achieve the same effect.

Roger R.
Fullerton, CA