View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

Could you provide the OS locale you use? (I mean the precise OS version and localization, for example Windows XP Home Thai Version). This is not visible in your bug report...

I know that a Thai version of Windows uses higher fonts by default at the same point size, because of the specific tall layout of Thai characters, even if the text displayed is only in English.
It would be interesting to have the full system properties reported by Java and displayed in the "Generate Bug Report" menu item.

Did you try also with the Windows theme?
Which theme are affected?

Some themes will work only on Windows with fonts made for the Latin, Greek or Cyrillic scripts, as they use Arial or Verdana.

Some themes are built with a reference to the internationalizable "Dialog" font which can display almost all modern scripts, usign a collection of fonts specific to your OS. Java expects to find a few core fonts installed on your system, as they are part of the standard instalaltion of this OS:
For example:
- "Arial, Times New Roman, Courrier New" for locales based on Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/Arabic,
- "David" for Hebrew
- "Symbol" in all locales
Java also provides its own "Lucida Sans Regular" font for better support of Thai.
If you have customized your "font.properties" files in "%JAVA_HOME%\lib", it may also produce such behavior, if this file is not customized properly.
Normally the JRE that is bundled with the International version of LimeWire should have the correct default settings for international fonts. However Java can use specialized versions of this file which are also stored in the "%JAVA_HOME%\lib" directory.

I really suspect that what you experiment is casued by improper installation of Windows core fonts on your system (may be these fonts are altered) or by bad editing of the "font.properties" file, which you could restore to its default by reinstalling Java.

Note finally that the JRE version 1.3.1 is now outdated by Sun and no longer supported (it is in the end of life cycle). Upgrading to Java 1.4 is recommanded.

LimeWire works also fine with the new JRE (most tests are performed today with this newer version, and LimeWire is also tested with the newly published Java 1.5 Beta1, which has an even better support for international scripts).

However Java 1.5 will use a new format for its "font.properties" file, which no longer depends on OS locales, but only on OS versions: there's one file for Windows 98, one for Me, one for NT/2000/XP, and these files are tuned to support all scripts simultaneously.

Hopes this helps.

Last edited by verdyp; April 30th, 2004 at 09:57 AM.